Town of Rowley
Board of Selectmen
General Government
Public Safety
Public Works
Health & Human Services
Coastal Flood Information
Community Preservation
Recreation, Historic, Agriculture
General Information
Town Links
Town Calendars

Application Forms
Library Events
Requests & Comments
Town Clerk

Department Head

Susan G. Hazen, Town Clerk and Record Access Officer


VACANT, Assistant Town Clerk

Mailing Address

139 Main Street
PO Box 351
Rowley, MA 01969

Department Email

Telephone 978-948-2081
Fax 978-948-2162
Office Regular Hours

Monday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Tues, Thurs, Friday 8 am to Noon
Wednesday 8 am to 4:30 pm

Office Summer Hours

Monday - 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday - 8 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - 8 am - 12:00 Noon

Note: All Town Offices close at 6 pm on Mondays until Labor Day.

Forms The new 2017 Public Meeting Notice forms are available in the Town Clerk's Office and by clicking here.
(links to approprate pages)
General Bylaw
Wetlands Protection Bylaw
Stormwater Bylaw
Zoning Bylaw

The Town Clerk's office is committed to provide competent, courteous and efficient service to our customers. The office is responsible for a wide variety of services, including mnaging local and state elections, town meetings, census information and voter registration, as well as certification of all official actions of the Town. We are responsible for the recording, maintenance and issuance of vital records. We handle the sale of various licenses including, dog, shellfish, fishing, hunting and marriage licenses and this office tends to serve as a 'general information center to the public, both in person and on the phone.

Absentee Ballots  

Election Laws require that Absentee Ballots be available to Registered voters who meet one of the following three criteria:

  1. Absent from the Town during hours the polls are open
  2. Physical disability which would prevent voting at the polling place
  3. Religious beliefs that would prevent participation on the day of the election.
An application must be completed for and received by the Town Clerk by noon on the day before the election. Absentee Ballots must be delivered through the US Mail to each requester. Absentee ballots may be voted at the Town Hall. Voted Ballots may be hand delivered to the Town Clerk.
Board of Registrars The Board of Registrars operate out of and in conjunction with the Town Clerk’s office and oversee certification of signatures on both local and state Nomination Papers as well as Initiative Petition Papers. The Registrars are also responsible for keeping the Voter Registration list up to date and accurate through the Annual Town Census.  Members of the Board of Registrars (as of 7/1/07) are:  Susan Hazen (Town Clerk), Barbara R. DiMento, Geraldine Robertson, and Gordon Densmore.
Business Certificates Business Certificates (DBA/Doing Business As) must be filed by an unincorporated business located in Rowley that is operating under a name other than one’s own, i.e. Nancy Nice d/b/a Nice Antiques.  The fee for a Business Certificate is $20.00 and is valid for four (4) years.

The Town Clerk’s office has for sale the following sets of By-laws or Rules and Regulations:

Protective Zoning Bylaws ($20.00)
Planning Board’s Sub-division Rules and Regs ($25.00)
Zoning Board of Appeals Rules and Regs ($8.00)
Board of Health Rules and Regs ($1.00)
Historic District Commission Guidelines and Procedures (n/c)
Town of Rowley General Bylaws ($10.00)

Read only versions of each of the above are available on each committee’s individual web sites.
Certified Copies

Certified copies of Birth, Death and Marriage records are available at $5.00 each.  Copies may be obtained by mail by submitting a written request with a check payable to the Town of Rowley and a self-addressed stamp envelope.

Click here to download PDF of the Vital record Request form.

Census The Town Clerk’s office compiles and updates a yearly resident census as mandated by MGL.  These census figures are essential when applying for a variety of things, as well as providing a basis for projections with regard to future population in specific age groups.
Dog Licenses

MGL 140, Section 137 requires that all dogs six months of age or older must be licensed. Evidence of a current rabies vaccination must be provided. Licenses are $10 each for spayed/neutered dogs and $20 for non- altered dogs and run from April 1st to March 31st of each year.  Licenses must be renewed by March 31st to avoid monthly late fees.  Kennel Permits are available at the discretion of the Board of Selectman and The Animal Control Office.  Kennel fees are as follows:  $20.00 for 1-4 dogs. $50.00 for 5 to 10 dogs and $100.00 for 11 or more dogs. For more information, Animal Control Officer Reed Wilson may be contacted by calling the Rowley Police Dept. non-emergency line: 978-948-7644.

Click here to download the 2017 application.

Election Information Voting takes place at St. Mary’s Church Hall on Main St. The Annual Town Election is held on the second Tuesday in May and runs from noon to 8 PM. State Elections run from 7 AM to 8 PM.  Voter registration forms and Absentee Ballot applications are available at the Town Clerk’s Office.
Genealogical Research Research may be done in the Town Clerk’s office during our posted office hours.  We have several excellent references in the office, including Early Settlers of Rowley, Massachusetts by Blodgette and Jewett, Eziechi Rogers Plantation 1639-1850 by Amos and Emily Jewett as well as Rowley, MA Vital Records to 1850. Research may be requested in writing – fees to be determined – with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Research requested will be done as time permits. The Rowley Free Public Library does have an extensive genealogical research area – check out their hours elsewhere on this site.
Marriage Licenses To apply for a Mass Marriage License, both parties must come into the Town Clerk’s office together to file a Marriage Intention.  Both must be at least 18 years old or must obtain a court waiver from the district court.  Premarital blood work is no longer required by the state. Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days and may be used to marry in any Massachusetts city or town. There is a mandatory three-day waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued.  This can be waived only through a court order.  The fee for a marriage license is $20.00 and includes a certified copy of the completed marriage certificate.
Notary Public Services Notary Public Services are available in the office of the Town Clerk, as well as the Assessor’s Office and the Treasurer’s Office.  The individual who is having his or her signature notarized must provide proper identification.  Reminder:  Document MUST BE signed in the presence of the Notary – DO NOT SIGN IT AHEAD OF TIME!!
Public Meeting Notices Under Chapter 303, Acts of 1975, all meeting notices must be filed in the Town Clerk’s Office, time-stamped, signed by the Town Clerk and posted on the clipboard immediately outside of the Clerk’s office at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.  Meeting notice forms may be downloaded from the Town web site.
Click here to download the application.
Public Record Law

Effective Jan. 1, 2017, Chapter 121 of the Acts of 2016 updated the state’s existing Public Records Law. Among other things, this updated law sets limits on fees, provides deadlines for the provision of records, and requires the designation of a “Records Access Officer”.


  • RAO – A municipality must appoint a Records Access Officer (RAO) designated to perform certain duties, including coordinating a response to requests, assisting individuals seeking public records and preparing guidelines that enable requestors to make informed requests
  • REQUESTS – may be made in person, in writing, by FAX or Email. The requestor must provide a reasonable description of the desired information.
  • RESPONSE – The RAO must respond to requests without reasonable delay and within ten (10) business days, provide a fee estimate where applicable or deny access to records in a manner consistent with MGL c. 66 §10 (a-B)
  • FEES – A ‘reasonable’ fee may be charged, not to exceed copying charge of 5¢ per page and/or Research at $25 per hour.
  • FORMAT – records may be supplied in either paper or electronic format.

Click here for the PDF of the Public Records Request Form.

Public Records maintained by the Secretary of the Commonwealth

Guidelines to assist persons seeking access to public records in the custody of the office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth

Public Records Request Database

Raffle Permits A Raffle Permit is needed by any organization that intends to run a raffle. Only Non-Profit organizations that have been in existence for at least two (2) years qualify for a raffle permit.  Permits are $10.00 each and run for one calendar year.
Ramp and Mooring Permits Ramp and Mooring Permits are available at the Town Clerk’s Office under the direction of Rowley Harbormaster, William DiMento. Ramp Stickers are available to Rowley Residents who can prove they are Rowley residents and that various taxes are up to date. Ramp Stickers are $60.00 each, $15.00 each for additional stickers.

Mooring Permits are available to people who have already been issued an approved mooring site – The Town Clerk does not approve or issue mooring sites – Mooring permit fees are calculated @ $4.00 per foot of the length of boat to be moored. The cost to keep a dinghy at the Town dock – with permission of the Harbormaster – is $200.00 flat fee per season. 

NEW Mooring Slip Permit Application Form.

Renewing Mooring Slip Permit Application Form.

Perleys Marina Customers Mooring & Slip Permit Application Form. 

 Boat Ramp Application Form.

Resident/Street List The annual publication, mandated by Massachusetts General Laws, lists all persons seventeen years of age and older, giving address, year of birth, occupation and voter status. Booklets are printed up for the use of town officials, fire/police depts. and any and all other town committees or boards.  Copies are available to the public at $10.00 each as available.
Shellfish Licenses Shellfish Permits are issued by the Shellfish Commissioners and distributed by the Town Clerk under their direction.  All permits expire on March 31st.  New Licenses are necessary to dig on April 1st. Proof of residency is required in the form of one or more of the following: MA Driver’s License showing Rowley address, Registered Voter or Street List, Service Bill for Town showing Name and Rowley residential address or previous shellfish permit. Residents applying for Commercial Permits must provide proof of a valid MA transaction card. Click here to download the Shellfish Permit application.  Fees are as follows:
Resident Commercial License 180 lbs/day  $400.00 per year
Resident/Non-Commercial 20qts/week $  40.00 per year
Non-Resident/Non-Comm 20qts/week $200.00 per year
Non-residents – I day permit 10qts/I day only $  30.00 for the day
Summer resident/Non-Comm 20qts/week/1wk only $  20.00 for the week
Residents-Over 60 years of age Commercial-180lbs/day Free

Residents-Over 60 years of age

Non/Comm-20qts per week Free
Junior Resident/Commercial 180 pounds/Day - 4/1 thru 9/30 $200.00 per 'season'
Town Meeting Information

Notice of every Town Meeting shall be given by posting attested copies of the warrant thereof in at least seven (7) places in the town not less that fourteen (14) days before the day fived for such meeting. The Minimum seven (7) places for posting shall be Town Hall, Town Annex, Rowley Pharmacy, Inc., The Public Library, Knowles Filling Station, First National Bank of Ipswich/Rowley Office and Market Basket.

Voter Registration All Citizens of the United States are eligible to vote in Town, State and Federal Elections if they are 18 years old on or before the next election.  The registration deadline is twenty days before each election or Town Meeting.  Residents wishing to register to vote may do so at the Town Clerk’s Office or the Registry of Motor Vehicles. You may also register by mail by calling 617-727-2828 or 1-800-462-VOTE and a form will be mailed to you.
Wildlife Licenses MA Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and Sporting Licenses are no longer available for sale in this office as the state has adopted an all on-line system.

More information and the fee schedule are available at the Fisheries and Wildlife web site:


PO Box 275, 139 Main Street, Rowley, MA 01969
Board of Selectmen: 978-948-2372
Town Administrator: 978-948-2705

Photographs used by permission from Richard Hydren,
©2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 All rights reserved.

Payment Center

> Click here to pay
Real Estate, Personal Property, Water & Light bills

> Click here to pay
Motor Vehicle & Boat Excise
& Burn Permits

> Click here for help in getting started

Public Records Request Form
Click here for more informtion.

Updated Coastal Flood Insurance Rate Maps for Rowley

Names of Persons
on Uncashed Checks
Deemed Abandoned

Notice dated 5/23/18 PDF

What's Happening
Around Town

Rowleyn Community Media

Town Meeting Warrants (PDFs)

June 18, 2018 STM Warrant
June 18, 2018 STM Minutes

April 2018 ATM & STM Warrants
April 2018 STM Minutes
April 2018 ATM Minutes

Town Meeting Minutes (PDFs)

November 2016 STM
May 2017 STM
May 2017 ATM

Annual Reports (PDFs)
2017 Annual Report


Rowley election results page.

 Sign up now for Blackboard Connect

Learn more / FAQs.

Town of Rowley Notices

Click here for current listings.

Selectmen's list of resource links on Class Sizes
Learn more.

Volunteer Opportunity for the Medical Reserve Corp

Click here for more info.